- Browse Items
- Browse Collections
- Artist Bio: Edward Norton Hamilton, Jr.
- Artist Bio: Margaret Burroughs
- Artist Bio: Craig Screven
- Artist Bio: Elmer Lucille Allen
- Artist Bio: Garry R. Bibbs
- Artist Bio: Gary Noland, Jr.
- Artist Bio: Sandra Charles
- Artist Bio: Tom Feelings
- Artist Bio: Bobby Scroggins
- Artist Bio: Delita Martin
- Artist Bio: Jeff Donaldson
- Artist Bio: Kelly Phelps/Kyle Phelps
- Artist Bio: LaToya M. Hobbs
- Artist Bio: LaVon Van Williams
- Artist Bio: Romare Bearden
- Artist Bio: Shirley McCauley Jenkins
Artist Bio: Edward Norton Hamilton, Jr.
b. February 14, 1947
Birth Place: Cincinnati, Ohio
Education: Louisville School of Art
Signature Medium: Sculpture
Artwork in collection: Spirit of Freedom, African American Civil War Memorial
Ed Hamilton creates work that communicates the power of the human spirit. He has created numerous monumental works such as the Amistad Memorial in New Haven, Connecticut, Booker T. Washington Memorial in Hampton, Virginia, and the Joe Lewis Memorial in Detroit Michigan. He has won numerous awards and recognition including the 1990 Black Achiever Award and the 1997 Kentucky Governor’s Award. Hamilton was also given a Doctor of Arts honorary Degree from the University of Louisville, an Honorary Doctor of Arts Degree from Western Kentucky University, a Doctor of Humane Letters from Spalding University, and was inducted in the Gallery of Great Black Kentuckians. In addition to being an accomplished artist, Hamilton has published two books: The Birth of an Artist: A Journey of Discovery and Creating the Lincoln Memorial at Waterfront Park.