- Browse Items
- Browse Collections
- Artist Bio: Edward Norton Hamilton, Jr.
- Artist Bio: Margaret Burroughs
- Artist Bio: Craig Screven
- Artist Bio: Elmer Lucille Allen
- Artist Bio: Garry R. Bibbs
- Artist Bio: Gary Noland, Jr.
- Artist Bio: Sandra Charles
- Artist Bio: Tom Feelings
- Artist Bio: Bobby Scroggins
- Artist Bio: Delita Martin
- Artist Bio: Jeff Donaldson
- Artist Bio: Kelly Phelps/Kyle Phelps
- Artist Bio: LaToya M. Hobbs
- Artist Bio: LaVon Van Williams
- Artist Bio: Romare Bearden
- Artist Bio: Shirley McCauley Jenkins
Artist Bio: Craig Screven
b. January 2, 1971
Birth Place: Dayton, OH
Education: BFA, Ohio State University
Lives and Works: Dayton, OH
Signature Medium(s): Oil, Digital Prints
Artwork in collection: Slave Queen Change
Craig Screven studied painting and drawing at Ohio State University. While in attendance he was very active in the art community, serving as curator of the Silent Presence Gallery, and organizing and curating the Art Expressions and the Life Around Me art exhibits. He was also the judge for the African American Student Service of Ohio State University's Art Contest. He has exhibited extensively many galleries in the Mid-West.
Drawing inspiration from political, historical and social events, Screven creates emotional and expressional impressions of life. His artwork shows a strong use of line and the primary colors and places emphasis on space, the figure, and movement. Screven uses a variety of media to create including computer, pastels, watercolor, oil paint, and wood. However, his favorite mediums are oil paint and the computer. In March of 2000, Screven was given the honor of being the Digital Consciousness Artist of the Month.
"I draw. I paint. I create. The visions you see are influenced by your life. The visions I create are influenced by mine. When they come together they create a spiritual, political, or social image."